Exactly one year ago, I blogged about my "most hated day of the year".
Well, since the beginning of the year (or should I say, since the last), I'm not expecting myself to "celebrate" this commercialized day. However, I was that optimistic enough to declare that this year would be my last year spending this "highly consumeristic day." Haha, talk about foolhardiness at work….
Anyway, I read an article recently on how people have became more and more pragmatic in this game of love. "What? Valentines' Day is the day businessmen laugh their way to the bank! No, we don't celebrate Valentines'," and "Why must we celebrate our love only on Valentines'? We can do it everyday!" are common responses from most people (according to the article and my observations thus far). While there is certainly have a ring of truth, I'm beginning to see the pragmatism in these views. Just a quick survey, how many of these practical people celebrate their love everyday? Or to be fair, how many of them celebrate their love on days other than Valentines'? I'm definitely not a statistics collection person, but I believe the answer would be "not many."
Am I advocating that people should jump into the "traps" laid by the greedy businessmen? In a way, yes. To me, I think it's kind of impractical to celebrate your love everyday, 'cos I think excessive celebration would sort of "cheapen" the love a couple has for each other. Celebration should be made in moderation. I'm sure no matter how deep the love between two persons is, receiving a bouquet of flowers everyday won't achieve the same effects of receiving a bouquet one in a while. Yes, there are definitely other days to celebrate the love, say on the anniversaries (such as the first date, first kiss, and definitely wedding), but if the couples are the forgetful type (especially the men!), I see that there's nothing wrong in riding the "consumerism wave" and automatically be reminded every year.
To the singles like myself, there isn't a need act aloof (admittedly, I used to do that), and be "sore" about this. After all, deep inside, I admit I do want to spend Valentines' with the person I love. But for now, I don't even have the option to choose between celebrating and not.
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
so with that much said.. u got any plans for u & Elena? ;)
Post a Comment