Thursday, January 05, 2006

It's only the fourth working day of the year, and I'm already feeling overwhelmed with my workload... Perhaps, my unfamiliarity with fx margin trading contributes to the feeling, but I think my forgetfulness is one of the main culprits...

In order to help myself to cope with all these (3 projects on-hand, plus all the ad-hoc jobs I'm dumped with), I've decided to revisit the solution I've experimented a year ago: document all my work using a wiki. Hope that I could share my experience for those who require a flexible and easy to use documentation tool in their work... And nope, wikis are not just a toy for programmers/software developers.... ;)

I became interested with that solution after reading an article, Design by Wiki, while I was dissecting a legacy macro which I've inherited from Clement, my previous superior. The main reason for the dissection was due to the errors reported by my other colleagues, and fixes were required. I liked the way the wiki aided me in my documentation, since I could hyperlink the relevant sections easily, allowing myself to quickly retrieve the information I wanted. I know that keeping all the relevant documents in one folder could also achieve the "under-one-roof" effect, but it would still require my failing memory to remember where that particular piece of information is and how all the documents are related to one another. With a wiki, even though I may have forgotten where that darn piece of information may be, I could just retrieve a page where I think that information might be; even if that information is not in that page, the correct source would most likely be just one click away from that page! Freaking convenient, ya?

With so many different wiki engines available, I eventually chose the PmWiki for my work, cos it has one very compelling feature - the ability to group/categorize related pages. Coupled with its super easy to use interface, it's really a no-brainer choice... ;)

No comments: