Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Recently, whenever someone asked me about my well-being, I would give "not good" as the reply. For some reasons, they responded with a startled look and questioned why.

Gosh, why must any reply that isn't better than "not too bad" raise one's eyebrow? Are replies such as "not good", "bad" or "lousy" unacceptable? Are negative answers so difficult to comprehend that people must question them? When questioned, I replied something along the line "what's wrong with having a not-too-good/bad/lousy life?" and carried on the conversation.

However, I reflected upon this for a couple of days and started seeing things from another perspective. Why are people (almost) always interested in your well-being when it's faring somewhere below not-too-bad? Shouldn't people also be showing the same level of interest/concern when the answer lies somewhere above not-too-bad (e.g. not bad, good, couldn't be better)? For my entire life, I've never met anyone raising an eyebrow and questioning why I'm faring well in my life. And with this new perception, I realized that life usually sways between good and bad, so having a lousy feeling about life should equally be deemed as normal, just like faring well in life.

Ya, I know I'm just finding fault with the minor things in life, but hey, this does make sense, right?

1 comment:

Restless Mind said...

Hey, hey, what mockery! How about this?

Suzoo: How are u?
Me: Couldn't be better.
Suzoo: Why? How can things be good? Something's amiss here.....