Thursday, April 07, 2005

Incredibly, I've finished reading Leviticus over the span of 2 days! At this amazing speed, I think I should be able to finish reading the Bible once through by the end of this year, if nothing of utmost importance draws me away (the only foreseeable one would be the CFA exam).

Anyway, I found that God has implicitly taught the Israelites how to take care of themselves, their fellow people, the land they are going to live in, and the foreigners (termed as "aliens" in the scripture). His commands even took care of the women in a time which they enjoyed a next-to-nothing privilege, a time which they had a very low social status. I'm really amazed how civilized the Israelites were, with these laws that are so modern, commands that are so advanced in the age back then.

God made a very explicit statement of our relationship to the land on this planet:

"The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants" (Lev 25:22)


Everything under the sky belongs to Him, and there's truly a great reminder when we greedily try to acquire more wealth for ourselves!

Now I wonder how long will I take to complete Numbers?

No comments: