Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I'm going to start reading Deuteronomy tomorrow, and if my not-that-good memory didn't fail me, and if my quick skim through didn't betray my stupidity, Deuteronomy is basically a "tenant's regulations" for Israelite. Argh!!!!! Legal stuff!!!! That means, there will be a lot of fine prints embedded within the book!!! If the Israelites have spent a considerable amount of time to read and dissect the laws[, not to mention finding loopholes to bypass/outsmart the laws], how much more effort I must put in to read the book?

Blessedly, all the mind-boggling legal stuff were tossed out of the window (actually, distilled to the essence) by Jesus, and established a new covenant with us, with (you've guessed it) a simplified set of commands! And blessedly, He doesn't demand us to fulfill each and every of the commands He has given, since He wants us to realize that we are saved by grace and grace alone.

So what has this got to do with my reading tomorrow? Fundamentally, it has nothing to do with it, but at least, I won't have to be that stressed when reading it. The only stress I think I might encounter is the "stress" to stay alert while reading!

I hope I would be able to uncover the "real" reasons why God gave the Israelites these regulations back then.

No comments: