Quick, how many quavers are there in a 3/4? How about 6/8?
During today's worship practice, one of the hymns stumbled the keyboardists. "This seems to be like a 3/4." one of them remarks and off they tried playing the hymn in 3/4. Oh well, the song lead was also not very musically-inclined, so at times, he came in on the wrong beat, which caused more confusion.
Oh well, since I'm the percussionist in the band, I kindly pointed out to them that it would be easier to play the song in 6/8, and even offered to count the beats for them.
"6/8? Oh, it's a 3/4, right? Ok, we'll try." one of them "quipped".
Duh! No doubt both 6/8 and 3/4 have 6 quavers in each bar, but there are only 2 beats in a 6/8 whereas in 3/4 there are 3! Anyway, not wanting to appear like a bigot, I continued counting for them and beautifully they played (and sung) through the hymn.
Phew! I went back to the drums so we could play through the hymn with the drums, but somehow, the 6/8 count still didn't register in their head.
"Er.... Sorry, could you don't play the drums for the time being? I'd like to try playing through the hymn again..."
Well, that sounded like an innocent request to me, so I agreed.
After a while, the pharmacist gal (yes, she was one of the keyboardists!) turned around and told me, "Sorry, we'll play this in 2/4."
What?! 2/4? Anyway, not wanting to argue, and maybe it really was plausible to play in 2/4, I nodded.
And then they played. In my mind, I counted 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2.... and even quietly sung the groove I was to play. Maybe I was wrong, but to my ears, they were playing in 3/4! I rolled my eyes and sunk back into my seat. I'll not play anything for this hymn....
No point wasting my breath arguing with them.... After all, I'm supposed to use my musical skills in worshipping God, and not to appear good in front of them....
Saturday, March 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment