Tuesday, December 27, 2005

As mentioned in the last entry, I attended a musical (?) last evening. Perhaps it was an attempt to correct my perpetual habit of always turning up late, I reached the auditorium half-an-hour prior the performance. After quite some time, we were finally allowed to be admitted into the auditorium, which I guess was about 10 minutes before the performance. However, after a good 15 minutes' (or more) wait, the emcee went up the stage and told us that "the show will begin in 5 minutes' time."

Later, after the performance, I went to KFC to buy my dinner. When it was my turn, the waitress told me blatantly that the leftovers were chicken wings only and asked whether I would mind having only the wings. Well, left with no other options, and dreading another round of queue at some other place, I took the wings, found myself a comfortable seat and started munching.

But what's the point of these narratives? Well, it dawned to me that people nowadays are so spoilt. People who are punctual are punished for, yup, being punctual, as the host would like to give some leeway to/buy some time for those who are late. People who loves the other parts of the chicken, would request for the choicest portion of the poor chicken when placing their orders.

What the hell?!! Yah, I admit that I'm equally guilty of being perpetually late for almost anything, but at least I'm aware of it (and am trying to correct that). But from all the experiences that I had, somehow, I think my perpetual lateness is a conditioning effect of all the leeway given by the "generous" hosts. Take that as my feeble attempt to push the blame away, but examining things at a deeper level, I think it's kinda wrong for hosts to "punish" those who are punctual. Give a round of applause to most of the concert organizers for starting their performances on time and only allowing those who are late to enter at the appropriate time; I think this ought to be the way organizers/hosts treat their customers/guests (who are punctual).

Now, let's address the chicken issue. Yes, I understand that some portions of the chicken tastes better than the other, and most certainly, most people would choose to have those parts. Yes, chicken wings are quite tasty, but compared to the drumsticks, I bet most would prefer to have the drumsticks. For those who are big eaters, chicken breast would be their preferred choice, as compared to wings. So, what’s my rant about? <Gibberish>, because of those selfish people's preferences, the rest of us have to take their shit! There are only so many drumsticks, wings, and breasts on a chicken, and when they have satisfied their bloody taste buds, the rest of us have could only stick to the lousier portions. Mind you, this does not apply only to chickens – beef, mutton, and whatever ingredients you can think of, as well as jobs, products, blah, blah, blah….. I must clarify one thing: I didn't feel shortchanged in anyway when I was given the wings; it just dawned to me that there are numerous selfish people around, who think that they are shortchanged whenever they couldn't get what they want.

<Gibberish>, what a terrible society most of us are living in! How long more must we, mere mortals, tolerate these people?!! <Gibberish> Lord, help us!!!!

No comments: