Wednesday, September 07, 2005

God spoke to me through my own mouth, and before delving further, here's a little back story....

I'm leading a cell group (unbelievable but true) and after prolonged "persuasion", I drew up a roster for the cell members, assigning them the 4Ws (i.e. welcome, worship, word, work) way in advance instead of the ad hoc basis (which I used to do) and it happened that I'm doing word (i.e. sharing) this week. The roster was disseminated back in June.

Last Sunday, the sermon was based on the second commandment (Exo 20:4-6, Deu 5:8-10) which basically, distilled to the essence, means "make no other idols for ourselves." I didn't prepare much; I determined the way I wanted the message to be shared and made up a few questions for the purpose of reflection, all done one hour prior cell group time.

After the short worship, I began by asking the members to think, for a minute, of one thing in their lives they couldn't live without, the one thing, that without it, would make them TRULY feel their lives would become incomplete. Some shared that their families would be of utmost importance, some said health, and a few television. It wouldn't be difficult to determine what mine is: a relationship (yes, feel free to breath fire down my neck for stating that.) I shared with in cell group on my obsession in my pursuit for a relationship, and how I have been feeling incomplete all these times (yes, you may continue to reprimand me.) I admitted I'm kinda like "worshipping" an "idol/goddess" whom I don't even know who she may be (and heaven forbid I really do "worship" whoever-she-is to whom I would be attached to.)

Towards the end of the cell group gathering, one of the members made me realized it wasn't a coincidence at all that I was "assigned" to share on the topic of "idol worshipping"; after all, most of us would, in the cell group, share and discuss on the sermon preached on the previous Sunday, with which we wouldn't know the topic in advance (let alone pre-empting that 3 months in advance.) God, instead of speaking to me through another, spoke to me, using my very own mouth, on my unhealthy obsession.

He cares! But would this lesson be etched in my heart permanently? I hope it will.....

No comments: