Thursday, September 08, 2005

During my sharing, I covered the other perspective on "idol worshipping" and I thought it would be good to put it in my blog to serve as a reminder for myself.

God gave the second commandment to the Israelites 'cos He wanted them not to follow the way the people in Canaan worshipped their gods. Hence, that explains why in Christianity (and Catholicism), there's no idol worshipping. However, we are told that the cross is just a symbol that serves as a reminder that Christ has died for our sins. Christianity pushes that a bit further by removing the "symbolic representation a crucified Jesus" from the cross, arguing that would prevent idol worshipping and emphasize on His resurrection.

However, most of us would treat the cross with a certain level of respect, although it isn't so much to the extent that we "worship" it. Think about it this way: why would Christians scream blasphemy when they see the inverted cross? (Yes, I know it actually symbolizes the anti-Christ.) Or not being too extreme, why is it that we treat the cross with special care? Why is it that we feel uneasy when we are throwing away an old and worn out cross? Why is it that we feel a certain level of peace when we hang the cross in our homes, or even in our cars? Why is it that we feel it's wrong to have the cross lying around our homes (e.g. on the floor)? (And by the pronoun "we", I meant most of us, not all.)

We are definitely not worshipping the cross but most of us have unconsciously elevated the cross, which is supposed to be a reminder, above its purpose of being just a symbol (and reminder) to something that we honor. Catholics claimed they are just honoring Mary as the mother of Jesus, but they seem to be worshipping her instead. The cross has been depicted as something that's kinda spiritual, lying somewhere in between the representation of a symbol and an idol. To make matters worse, some even treat the bible (as in the book) as something holy.

Christ told His disciples to do one thing in remembrance of Him (Luke 22:17-19) which (I'm sure we all know) is the practice of the communion (yes, most would tagged the communion with the word "holy".) He didn't choose the cross for that purpose; so why is it that churches preached otherwise? Is it due to the traditions passed down (I'm quite sure it originated from the early Catholic churches, and no, I'm not trying to find fault with them)?

It's really ironic that all these efforts put in have instead created a lot more other "gods."

No comments: