Monday, January 24, 2005

Which career path do I really want to embark on? Should I be a software developer armed with financial knowledge, or should I be an IT-savvy financial analyst? Once I have an answer to that question, I would know what I need to do for the next 2-3 years (or maybe more).

If my choice were to be a software developer, all I need to do is to sign up for a graduate diploma (or maybe just an advanced diploma), and I can make that transition from my current job in about 1.5 to 2 years' time. But if I were to choose to be the latter, I will need at least 3 years to complete the CFA certification (and that's by no means an easy feat!) Chances are, for a computer science graduate like myself, it may prove to be an uphill task to complete CFA. Then again, I'm already working in a financial institution, so being CFA-certified would translate to abundance opportunities in the industry! I'm so torn apart trying to make this difficult decision! Syl advised me to go for CFA, whereas WL thought a grad dip would be better; Jennifer told me to "think over this and come to a decision by end this month"!

Therefore, the question, once again (in its simplest form): IT plus finance, or finance plus IT? Argh.......

1 comment:

Mirabelle said...

You should seriously just sit down and pray about it... who knows? Perhaps neither option is for you? I think the key now is to pursue what makes you happy. And NOT pursue what others have in mind for you or the "false" image of success which you have created for yourself. In my opinion, a successful person is someone who is able to live by his decisions, stay happy and not regret. Let not others define your success, but ask God for HIS definition of success.....