Paradigm shift is what I need, to the point of desperation if I were to describe my, well, desperation.
I've read the book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective Person, I think, 2 years back, but I have yet to internalize the principles in my life. And now (shame on me), I'm actually reading the "sequel" The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness. So now the question is: when am I going to start the internalizing process?
What triggered this? It was during this morning's prayer meet, my group of prayer partners (including myself!) lamented how often we forget about God's love, even when serving Him. Are we merely going through motion, trying to get (heaven forbid!) a job done? One of them even echoed his regrets of being "so lazy that life's wasted with each passing moment". He mentioned how he was reminded by the material used in the varsity cell group which carried the message "to change from a reactive person to a proactive one."
Through his sharing and my lamentations, I knew I needed a paradigm shift desperately, more so than an up-close-and-personal experience with God. The reason being that even the Israelites failed to live a life pleasing to God after experiencing the numerous miracles before, during and after they were brought out of Egypt. It's all too easy to fall back to the ways of this world, even after a wonderful encounter with God. I've been through that and I fully understand that encounter with God alone is not enough. It'll only work if it involves a transformation in the heart/mind. Paul said "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Rom 12:2a)
I think I ought to set my goal to internalize at least 3, out of the 7, habits by end this year (don't want to be too greedy!). Perhaps by then, with the (slight) paradigm shift, I would be able to foster a more intimate relationship with our Creator. The roller-coaster ride on this journey of faith is making me sick...
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment