Sunday, February 19, 2006

I've been "reprimanded" again today...
Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment to disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him...

As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something is unclean, then for him it is unclean. If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken as evil....

So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin. Rom 14:1-3, 14-16, 22-23


Well, reprimand is too strong a word.. haha... But nonetheless, I was told I wasn't sensitive to the people when I "corrected" them their views on Christian living (just read through my previous takes to "anger" yourself). Well, I was told that I was fortunate to be attending a church that teaches doctrines true to the Bible, and that I should really cherish these treasures I have gathered thus far. Even though I may have the "more correct" view of the Bible, that doesn't mean I can go around "correcting" people. I must stress that I don't "correct" people as a way to feed my ego; in fact, I'm usually furious that people are kind of "legalizing" the Bible unnecessarily and quoting verses out of context. I thought my "corrections" could "liberate" them from the "wrong" views they are holding close to their hearts for years.

And from the "reprimand" today (and actually a similar reprimand happened a couple of weeks ago), I realized that I have taken a "wrong" approach in expressing my "good" intentions. I'm not sensitive to these fellow brothers- and sisters-in-Christ. I'm not saying that I'm stronger in faith; just that, as Paul have said, what I do and/or say, I shouldn't cause another to stumble. I guess I just have to watch my mouth closer next time (although that would bring up another question: how do I watch my mouth when my eyes are located above it?)

No comments: