Today's my first in 2006 that echoed Murphy's (in)famous law - Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
This morning, I took a lift from one of my cell members to church, and when we were just outside the church premise, Mae called and asked whether I could stand-in for Joshua who was still stuck at the train station. I readily agreed, and played the drums during worship.
After the service, I went to the office, photocopied the Sunday school materials, went to the classroom and made the necessary preparations for the class. I was quite happy to have the children being so receptive to a total stranger like myself (today was the first time I met them). I'm also very grateful that, unlike the previous batch I taught, these new students were far more attentive and obedient.
When the class ended, I bumped into Kailin outside the church kitchen, and since it was somewhat along the way, I accompanied her to the train station. When we left the church premise, it was drizzling; but as we were nearing the station, the rain grew heavier. We parted our ways, and I continued to walk under the shelter, making my way to the place(s) I wanted to go to.
Cats and dogs started to grow in numbers, so I started to worry. There were quite a number of places where I had to cover are unsheltered, so I started to contemplate whether I ought to take the public transport. At this moment, I passed by a shop selling barbecue sliced pork, and after a few minutes of hesitations, I joined the (relatively) short queue to buy some back for my parents.
Then things started to go horrendously wrong. As I was fishing out my phone to call my mum, I discovered that my wallet wasn't in my backpack! Panic struck me, and I had no choice but to leave the queue. I dug my backpack, searching for it, but ended in futility. Then, I noticed I had quite a number of missed calls, and the ones calling me were Uncle Jeffrey and Uncle Kim. I called Uncle Jeff.
"Hey, lost your wallet? You dropped it in Uncle Kim's vehicle this morning. It's with him now. Call him."
Apparently, I didn't zip the pocket after answering Mae's call, causing it to drop.
"Thanks!" and immediately, I called Uncle Kim, but no one answered. I called several times, but still no answer.
Feeling helpless (all my means of getting home are in that wallet!), I continued to make my way towards my destination, hoping deep inside that I could reach Uncle Kim soon to get my wallet back, run the errands, and go home.
Full scale invasion by the cats and dogs happened, but I was already stuck in the middle of nowhere, and shelter became a scarce commodity. It was nearly a decade ago I was this dripping wet, but the animals remained merciless.
Then (finally!) Uncle Kim called, and he agreed to return my wallet at the shopping mall I was heading to. Great! That added some warmth to the shivering me, and soon after, my wallet was back to its owner.
Armed with the ability to spend, I went to pre-pay my internet bills, and headed off to give my growling tummy the much needed food. Soon after, I headed off to Cold Storage, and it was there I discovered my phone was missing! Arrgghh.....!!!! After a good 20 to 30 minutes of hunting around, I finally found it in the ISP outlet.
Being grateful to God for His grace, and feeling a little paranoid, I quickly finished the errands and headed straight home; all done with a constant checking done to ensure my wallet and phone were with me at all times....
Sunday, January 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment