Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Finally, after an excruciating 2 days of downloading, installation and configuration, I have finally restored my PC to its former glory, except it's in a cleaner state. And of course, I have upgraded several software to the latest and greatest version (Nero 7, Norton Internet Security 2006, and Firefox 1.5). Firefox has a nifty plug-in, Download StatusBar, that, in addition to improve the built-in download manager, allows me to configure the browser to automatically scan all files that I have downloaded, thus saving me the hassles of having to remember to manually initiate a scan. Wonderful! I've also ditched Winzip, in favor for 7Zip, which is, not only free, a more robust compression utility. I've also upgraded to Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0 and Java Runtime version 5.0 Update 6. Talk about having the latest and greatest? Hahaha..... :p

The only issues now are: should I install Notepad++ or UltraEdit (as the notepad replacement)? And should I install the resource hogging ICQ? And should I install Adobe Photoshop CS 2 or Macromedia Fireworks 8? Hmmm......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

okie.. my 2 cents worth.. install UltraEdit.. it's more powerful.. at least for me lah :p

u can try ICQ Lite.. i'm not sure about the memory status for ur pc, but it works ok for my office pc :p

plus ICQ program is always handy when u want to save on sms costs :p :p

Restless Mind said...

I've installed UltraEdit, as recommended, but I'm still not too sure about installing ICQ (or ICQ Lite for that matter.) ICQ Lite was hogging all the resources during startup, causing the booting up to come to a crawl (for a good 1 minute, no less!) Maybe I should change to MSN Messenger instead?

Anonymous said...

ya, agree with u about ICQ slowing down start up time.. MSN Messenger will be a better choice in that case.. if u're someone who likes lots of emoticons/graphics in ur messages, MSN is a better choice.. Anyway, i got BOTH running on my workstation, though i tend to use MSN more often.. ICQ is more like a private channel for me to send long-winded sms to my bf discreetly :p