Monday, August 15, 2005

Most of us want to be different - in the things we eat, the clothes we wear, the mobile phones we use, etc - which basically we just want to lead a different life as compared to our peers.

"Oh gosh, I'm not going to buy that [insert your favorite object here]! [Insert name of friend here] already has that!"

"I have been wearing that dress for six months before it is imported!"

I know I may just be ranting, but think about it this way: it's ironical that our pursue to be different make us all identical.

Hmmm... Nothing too deep about the previous statement; while we're striving to be different from our peers (or even the whole world), that very goal is the denominator that makes us all the same. So what if I want to own something uniquely mine? Ultimately, everyone else ends up owning what we already have.

Of course, despite all these, I don't include very specific goals such as marrying Catherine Zeta Jones or Tom Cruise, but more general goals (reusing the marriage example) such as marrying a Hollywood star.

Each and every one of us is unique in his/her own ways, so why the need to pursue such material (and dare I say, useless) goals? So what if you are living right in the middle of a bustling city, rubbing shoulders with the rich and the famous? For the majority of us living in the concrete jungle, haven't we crave for the time to live (at least for a short period of time) in a lovely cottage in the countryside, right beside a lake?

I don't know, but I think I just want to lead a normal life, even if it's so identical to the rest of the people around me. What's wrong for desiring to live a simple life? After all, we'll all end up being identical.

No comments: