Friday, May 27, 2005

Yesterday's ice-breaking has opened a whole array of opportunities for me. The options are so vast and the only limiting factor is my imaginations (plus courage.) Unfortunately, my imaginations are limited to the manga-style impracticality.

Nevertheless, I found out that she was on duty again (which leads to the conclusion: she'll be on duty again in 4 weeks' time.) And after a really brief lunch(-in), 'cos I dropped one serving on the floor, I decided to go to her desk and introduce myself to her.

"Hi. On duty again?"

I think she was a bit shocked 'cos of my unexpected appearance. She quickly re-composed herself and replied, "Yes."

I noticed that she had 2 pieces of papers, highlighted all over, and she seemed to be deeply engrossed in her work before I broke her concentration. Oops...

"Busy? Oh yes, I've yet to introduce myself," and with my hand stretching over the partition, "I'm SL. And yes, don't be mistaken, I'm a local, no doubt my name sounds very foreign."

"Oh... SL," and (I think) while she was trying to register my difficult-to-pronounce name, she said, "I'm Elena."

"E-lain-na?" feigning the ignorance (Father, forgive me.)

"Elena." She repeated. (For a record, the name "Elena" originated from Spain, and she didn't seem to be pronouncing it the Spanish way. Anyway, my pronunciation could be wrong too.)

For a moment, silence (once again) transcended, and not wanting to turn the atmosphere into an awkward one, I quickly asked her which jurisdiction she's in charge of.

"U.K. and Swiss." She replied. Notice that all her answers were SSS (simple, short and sweet.)

"Oh, I thought you are supporting CY."

"I'm her back-up. We're actually partners." Finally, a reply with more than 5 words.

"Are you busy?"

"Yes, kind of."

"Oh... Ok, I shan't disturb you then. Enjoy!" And when I saw her subway sandwich still intact at one corner of her desk, I quickly commented, "Hmmm, I see that you still haven't taken your lunch."

She smiled and I vanished out of her sight.

Even though, the whole incident sounds kinda awkward (and maybe even unnatural), but the most important thing is: we are now "officially" acquainted.... :)

No comments: